Last updated: August 28th, 2015
This type of plan provides:
- An accelerated death benefit that may be limited and not sufficient to cover long term care costs in the future.
- A “Chronic Illness Rider” or “Terminal Illness Rider” is different from a long term care Rider. In many cases, a “permanent condition” is required to trigger benefits.
- Definitions in the contract language range on these policies and benefit triggers vary from requiring a “permanent condition,” “chronic condition,” or help with Activities of Daily Living “ADLs.”
- Underwriting criteria that differ from those used in Long Term Care Insurance.
- Riders vary by carrier and state.